Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Baby Bib DIY

I made a few bibs for my little nephew that is arriving in April for my sister-in-law's baby shower. I was shocked at how easy it was to make these cute little bibs. I wish I had attempted this sooner because I have bought my fair share of bibs over the last two and a half years. 



Here is the first one that I made. I found it on this blog. She has a pattern and detailed instructions on how to make this adorable little baby apron. I love it because it has arm holes to keep the bib in place. She says on her blog that her three year old wears it, but it was pretty tight on my one year old and she's a little peanut. So, I'd suggest making it a little bigger than the pattern suggests if its for a baby over one.





 The second bib was made by tracing a pattern from one of my current favorite bibs.For this bib, you'll need a fat quarter of a yard of fabric and a piece of Velcro. You can also add an applique if you wish. Using this bib as a model, I made a pattern with paper towels. I figured this would be easier to pin to the fabric than paper.
Using tracing paper or a water soluble pencil, trace the pattern onto your fabric or pin it to the fabric and cut out the pattern from your chosen fabric.   I used Babyville PUL fabric for this bib to make it a waterproof bib. Sew the Velcro in place on the bib where you'd like it to close. If you're using one, pin the applique to the bib and stitch around it to secure it.

Place the two right sides together, sew around the edges with a quarter inch seam allowance. Leave a 2 inch opening so that you can turn the bib right side out. Make small snips in the curved part of the bib so that it lays right when you turn it.



Turn the bib right side out and pin the opening closed. Top stitch a quarter inch from the edge all around the bib. And you're done... easy bib in about 30 minutes.



1 comment:

  1. Very well said and done! I love the idea of using paper towels because as far as I know they are really good and much easier than paper especially in making a pattern. The baby apron is really cute. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...