Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Soup

January in Chicago means cold, windy, snow and darkness before I leave the office. For this reason, I use my slow cooker at least once a week. There is nothing better than coming home to a meal waiting for you. I have never really liked canned soups with meat in them because I think it already looks chewed (sorry for that visual, but it does). For that reason, I always take the meat out of the soup before I eat it. I have suffered through relentless teasing about this at work, but I'd rather deal with that than eat canned soup meat.

So...I try to make my own soup at home to bring to work. This is a simple chicken soup recipe that tastes great. It makes a lot, so you'll have enough for dinner and a few lunches through the week. I cook my noodles separately because I don't like to freeze soup with noodles in it, and if I don't eat it all, I like to freeze it for later- and without this noodles, this soup freezes well.


Crock Pot Chicken Soup

1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can be frozen)
4 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
3 (32) oz containers of chicken broth or use 64 oz Homemade Chicken Stock
1 tbsp poultry season
5 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours of high for 4. About 20 minutes before the soup is done, cook the noodles of your choice. Remove chicken breast and shred. Add chicken back to soup. Serve over noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...