Saturday, December 29, 2012

Grandma's Shortening Frosting


I grew up on my grandma's red velvet cake with shortening frosting. This was the cake we begged for at our birthdays. I love the cake, but the frosting is what did it for me. This frosting is the fluffiest, most unique tasting frosting you'll ever taste. We always had it on red velvet cake, but I think it would be great on any cake. It's a little labor intensive- your mixer will get quite a work out, but it is completely worth it.


Grandma's Shortening Frosting

1 C milk
2 Tbsp corn starch
1/2 C shortening
1 stick butter
1 C granulated sugar

Cook milk and corn starch at medium heat until it thickens- whisking constantly. Let stand 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat remaining ingredients at high speed until the sugar dissolves- about 15 minutes.

Add cornstarch mixture to sugar mixture and beat at high speed until combined- 10-15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...