Wednesday, January 2, 2013

No Boil Lasagna with Fresh Baby Spinach


Lasagna is one of my favorite comfort foods. Thanks to my friend Emily, its gotten a little better & healthier. She suggested adding fresh baby spinach to my lasagna and I'm glad I did. It was amazing. I thought it would be weird because I usually use sauteed spinach and the texture would be different, but it wasn't.

This recipe is lower fat than a traditional lasagna recipe, but it's packed with flavor. Try it, you won't be disappointed!


No Boil Lasagna with Fresh Baby Spinach

About 1/2 recipe of my slow cooker pasta sauce or 2 jars of store bought sauce
8 oz fat free cottage cheese
8 oz ricotta made from skim milk
1/2 C Parmesan cheese
1 C shredded mozzarella
1C water
1 beaten egg
2 C fresh baby spinach
8 slices mozzarella cheese
12 lasagna noodles-uncooked

Heat oven to 375. Combine cottage cheese, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, water and egg in a small bowl.

Ladle one cup of pasta sauce into 10x13 pan. Place four lasagna noodles on the sauce. I usually have three horizontal and one vertical at the bottom of the pan. Spread half the cheese mixture over the noodles. Place one cup baby spinach over cheese and ladle two cups of sauce.

Repeat layer and end with noodles on top. Top with sauce. Tightly cover pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Take off foil, top with mozzarella cheese slices and bake for 15 more minutes. If desired, place under a broiler for two minutes to brown cheese.

Let sit for 15-20 minutes. This step is important... it will be watery if you don't let it set-up.





Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...