Friday, January 4, 2013

Grandma's Red Velvet Cake



Every year, my in-law's neighborhood has a bake auction the weekend before Christmas to fund their block party that occurs in June. Since college, I have been making cakes for them to take to the auction. Its my personal goal to out-do the last year's cake because it's usually one of the best sellers.  This year, I made a red velvet cake with shortening icing.

This was always my favorite cake growing up. The frosting is what makes the cake for me, but the red velvet cake is delicious. As a kid, I always loved having red velvet for my birthday because it was unique.- no boring vanilla, chocolate or fun-fetti for this girl!

My mom always complained that it was a difficult cake to make, so even as an adult, I've always shied away from making it. Now that I've been making cakes and frosting from scratch for a few years, I've come to realize that sometimes people describe a recipe as difficult if it takes a little more time. This cake is a little time consuming, but aren't all great things in life?

If you've never had red velvet cake, I challenge you to make it with the shortening icing for your next event. You won't be sorry!



Red Velvet Cake

1tsp vinegar
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 C shortening
1 1/2 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp cocoa
2 oz red food coloring (I use the small red McCormick bottles)
1 C buttermilk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 C Cake Flour

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix vinegar, vanilla and baking soda in a small cup and let stand.

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs.

Make a paste of the cocoa and small amount of red food coloring. Add to the creamed mixture. Add remaining food coloring.  Add buttermilk, salt and baking powder. Mix thoroughly. Gradually add flour and mix thoroughly between additions.

Stir the vinegar, vanilla, baking soda mixture well and add to the cake mixture. Mix well.

Pour into two 8 inch pans and bake for 30 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...