Monday, January 21, 2013

Valentines' Day Picture Frame Wreath DIY

Valentines' Day is a month away. I've never been big on celebrating Valentines' Day-however, I always accept the awesome box of chocolate my husband likes to give me- but now that my girls are a little older, it's fun to decorate for the holiday to encourage their excitement. Although, let's face it-any holiday that I get to decorate in pink, is my fave. I wonder if I can spin Fourth of July into a pink decoration- we'll see.

Anyway, you may recognize the wreath above from an earlier post. This is the wreath I did for Christmas last year. I love it so much that I was sad to take it down, so I decided to make it interchangeable. I removed the ornaments, ribbon and the G and added some heart garland, beads and new ribbon to make it new. I'm so excited to be able to keep this on my door for 3 months instead of 5 weeks! I wonder if I can convert it to St. Patty's Day- any suggestions?









Here is how I did it...
Supplies:
Large Old Picture Frame- painted in desired color
beads- beaded trim, bead garland and mardi gras beads
felt- pink and red
ribbon- thin for the garland and thick to hang
Sewing machine and coordinating thread
hot glue gun

Inspired by this pin, I made the heart garland for the wreath. To make the heart garland, Cut felt so you have two 3 x 8 pieces. Stack and sew along one long side.









Bring opposite ends around so that the side you just sewed is in the middle and it takes the shape of a heart.










Sew along the ends to close the heart.












Cut in 3/4 inch sections.













Take a length of thin ribbon and a needle with a large eye and string the garland. You need to bring the needle through each side, catching the middle so the heart keeps it's shape on the string.








And you have your garland...













As for the rest of the wreath, I just strung the beads across the back and used hot glue and tacks to help secure them in place.









I also added this heart that I did with an applique pattern on my embroidery machine.












I placed a hook on the opposite side of the door to hold the wreath in place.












I hope this inspires you to do your own Valentine's Day Decor!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...